Friday, July 07, 2006

Supergroup Concept: The Classic "Mirror Universe" Adversaries

Here's an idea I had for a dedicated group of friends or supergroup to try that I think would be a lot of fun. I'd love to be part of a group dedicated to trying this out. If 9 or 10 of you would like to give this a shot, drop me a line... I want in!

The concept is the classic "Mirror Universe" hero/villain clash. Of course it was done in (and the name derived from) the original Star Trek series, but the idea spills into the comics all the time. Your Honor, I give you people's exibit A: The Justice League and the Squadron Supreme. The latter is (by design) a mirror image of the former. There's also the gazillion examples of [insert any comic book hero here] who must, at some point in his career, face his evil duplicate. I asked myself one night what it would take to reproduce this in CoH, and what I came up with sounded genuinely fun. Here's the plan....

A group of players (for purposes of our example, let's say 10) construct a typical hero supergroup, each making the kind of character they enjoy playing. Now the names of all of the characters are tossed in a hat, and each player randomly chooses one. That player now builds a villain based on the concept of the hero they've selected. The villain should be similar enough to the original hero, either in powers, theme, or concept, to be recognizable as the mirror of the original. Costumes should be thematically similar to the original. Each group is played at roughly the same rate for leveling purposes. Now comes the fun part. Once the characters are all at least level 20, five characters are selected. Those five and their alter egoes meet in Siren's Call to face off, mirror image vs mirror image. Sure, the same idea can be accomplished in the arenas. but it loses the purity that one mirror image is truly a "villain."

Anyway.... I ....think it sounds fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home