Thursday, July 20, 2006

XP for Healing: The Final Revisit

I'm such a dumbass. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. (Maybe because I do this as a hobby... It's not my job.) I always figured the major stumbling block of awarding XP for healing was because a character could just stand near a crowd and auto-heal til he had Experience dripping out his ass. Awarding XP for healing shouldn't be based on amount of healing delivered, but on amount of Hit Points restored. Say, Tankerboy is down 100 HP, and Healer-Man shoots off 200 points worth of healing. Experience is only awarded for the 100 points restored to Tankerboy, not the full 200 delivered. Experience shouldn't be awarded for healing at the same rate it is for dishing out damage ....it's simply easier and less dangerous.... but perhaps at something like a 2-for-1 rate. (A healer would have to restore 2 HP to gain the same XP as dealing 1 point of damage would gain him.)

But what about Area of Effect heals?, you say? Don't they crock XP-gaining in favor of the healer? No, says I. The failsafe is already built into AoE heals, as they already deliver less healing than single-target heals. So there!

I'll leave this alone now. I've finally worked out the basic mechanics to my own twisted satisfaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home